Position: Volunteer Kitchen Assistant
Contact: Evadne Headley
Mobile: 0796 843 8097
Email: [email protected]
Address: Ansty Road United Reform Church, 210 – 214 Ansty Road, Wyken, Coventry CV2 3EY
8, 85, 9, 9a, x30, x6
Hope in Unity is an Organisation who provides support to those in the black community who are 60 years and above who are socially isolated, vulnerable and lonely (but not exclusive to those who are faced with these situations). We are committed to offering a unique and culturally supportive service to our users. We offer a range of activities that are beneficial to a person’s physical and mental wellbeing.
Day of work : Tuesday
Hours of volunteering : 10.00am – 2.00pm (4hrs)
- Must have an up to date Food Hygiene certificate or equivalent or willing to undertake online.
- Some knowledge of Health & Safety in a kitchen environment
- Undertake any basic food preparation requested by the Cook from peeling, trimming, cutting, chopping of food stuff
- Using all large and small equipment as needed
- Washing dishes, bowls and utensils prior to being used and after.
- Keep clean plates and bowls warm in the oven until meals are served.
- Manually washing equipment used including pots
- Using kitchen equipment (when required) supervised
- Assist the Cook as instructed to support with the serving of meals and preparation of food.
- Wipe down dining tables prior to being used and after meals have finished
- Put away all clean dishes, utensils, pots and equipment in the correct places
- Must leave the kitchen in a clean and tidy way at the end of the day
- Must have good communication skills.
What you can gain from this opportunity
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop their knowledge and skills in running an efficient organised kitchen working very closely with the Cook.
- Good customer service and communication skills with enhanced knowledge about different cultures
- An opportunity to develop into a paid position
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a team player, punctual and reliable and have the ability to work on own initiative.
- Be organised and tidy in your work.
- Be able to carry out tasks given confidently.
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must have excellent personal hygiene standards and be clean and presentable at all times.
- Must be able to take the initiative when called for.
- Must enjoy being around elders.
- Must be friendly and approachable
- Must be able to start ASAP
- Must be willing to work under Covid Guidelines due to service users’ vulnerability.
Selection Process for Volunteers
- A Disclosure, Barring and Service (DBS) check will be undertaken if the successful candidate does not hold a valid certificate.
- Informal interview
- Up to date CV required
- References will be undertaken (please provide on CV)
- Regular reviews formal and informal will be undertaken with Cook and manager
- Lunch will be provided and travel costs reimbursed upon receipt of a valid ticket
Please call for an informal chat if you require any additional information about the position.